Songbook Academy Screening Process
March 20, 2020
Have you ever wondered what our screeners look for in a Songbook Academy applicant and how they screen from locations across the country? Well, you’re in luck! We’re sharing a few behind-the-scenes secrets about the process…
Who are the Screeners?
Six professional vocal coaches and music directors, who are also on our guest teaching team during Songbook Academy week, screen our applicants. Read their bios here.
How does the screening process work?
Our screeners adjudicate each individual applicant via the same Acceptd platform through which our students submit their application. The platform provides our screeners a user friendly way to view the students’ videos, fill out a screening rubric developed by the Songbook Academy and provide written feedback to each applicant.
Have you visited our application page? Click here to explore... and maybe even apply!
So, what are the screeners looking for?
Our screeners are looking for students, who demonstrate quality vocal technique and understanding, including:
- rhythmic accuracy and understanding
- a focused, healthy and supported tone quality
- a strong and consistent tonal center
- and an innate musical ability
Our screeners are also looking for students, who demonstrate:
- an intellectual and emotional ability to interpret a song’s lyrics
- and tell a story that is organic and grounded in a personal connection, sense of style and overall performance technique.
What makes our process unique?
Unlike many other programs where students receive a yes, no or waitlist notification only, our screeners provide ALL students with written feedback. The feedback that students receive may include:
- Positive feedback
- Constructive criticism relating to the student's overall performance
- Specific guidance on technique areas the student could work on in the future with their music, choir or private vocal teacher
- Song selection recommendations
When will students hear back from us?
Due to the current COVID-19 national health emergency, we decided to extend our application season by one week to alleviate any added stress or pressure on families navigating school and community-wide closures. The new application deadline is March 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM. Apply here.
This extension requires us to also push back our acceptance notifications by one week to allow our screeners four full weeks to adjudicate all applicants. Acceptance notifications will now be sent on or before April 22, 2020. Thank you for your patience during this challenging time.
Questions about the screening process? Feel free to reach out to email@example.com.