February 8, 2024
POSITION TITLE: Communications Strategist
DRAFTED: January 2024
SUPERVISOR'S TITLE: Director of Programs - GASF
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The Communications Strategist will help advance the Great American Songbook Foundation’s mission to inspire and educate by celebrating the American Songbook. As a vital member of the GASF team, this position will be responsible for shaping and executing the Foundation's communication strategy, creating engaging content, and maintaining a strong online and offline presence.
All employees are required to embrace and consistently practice our core values of Inclusion, Excellence, Collaboration, Integrity and Innovation and actively participate in IDEA training and initiatives.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform the functions listed below in a satisfactory manner. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy to promote the Foundation's mission, programs, and initiatives.
- Manage and oversee the creation of compelling and high-quality digital content, including newsletters, social media posts, event communications, blog posts, and press releases.
- Manage and oversee the Foundation's social media presence, including content scheduling, audience engagement, and growth strategies.
- Maintain and update the Foundation's website with current and relevant content, ensuring a user-friendly and accessible online experience.
- Promote Foundation events and programs through various channels, coordinating with event staff to maximize attendance and engagement.
- Uphold the Foundation's brand identity and ensure consistency across all communication materials.
- Develop and maintain a content calendar to plan and schedule communication initiatives in advance.
- Monitor and analyze communication efforts, using data-driven insights to refine and improve strategies over time.
- Oversee the creation of marketing and promotional materials for the Foundation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The company will make reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to effectively communicate both written and verbally
- Ability to work independently and also collaborate effectively as part of a team
- Ability to work in an organized manner and use time efficiently
- Ability to problem solve, strategize and make decisions
- Ability to multitask and monitor several projects on a daily basis
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines
- Highly proficient and agile with technology
Education and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Public Relations, Marketing, or a related field
- Proficiency in content management systems, social media management tools, and analytics.
- Strong copywriting and content creation skills
This position includes no supervisory responsibilities.
This position operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, etc. and requires accountability for our core values of Inclusion, Excellence, Collaboration, Integrity and Innovation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The company will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Strong sensory skills, such as good eyesight, hearing and dexterity
- Ability to bend, push, lift, carry, pull and move up to 25 pounds
- Ability to speak and listen carefully
- Ability to stand, sit, walk, use hands, and reach with hands and arms
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with benefits. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, typically 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Some schedule flexibility is required as occasional evening and weekend work is necessary.
No travel is required for this position but may be optional.
Please note: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Great American Songbook Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type with regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, LGBTQ, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.